Friday, July 17, 2015

Little Victories



I have a new fascination in my vegan journey… my tastes are genuinely changing.

First, after almost three weeks I still don’t miss meat.  I would never have thought I could or would live without meat, but I have no desire for it anymore. 

Second, I enjoy more fruits and vegetables.  I’ve always been more of a fruit person, but even with fruit I was picky.  I never really cared for melon before, but I actually like it now.  With vegetables I was always more picky, but now I actually eat a wider variety and even if I don’t love them just yet, they’re not bad! I can tolerate vegetables I used to dislike.  I hated cucumber and believe it or not, I can eat it. I still don’t like it (lol), but I can stomach it much better than I used to.

Third, I get full more quickly on things that most people consider side dishes.  For breakfast most days I pick at grapes while I’m at work and because I’m not scarfing it down I also feel full with just that.  I do find that I get hungry more frequently, but just a small handful of my homemade trail mix (also not scarfed down quickly) and I’m good to go!

Fourth, when I eat things that are “technically” vegan but aren’t necessarily healthy (excess bread or potatoes, vegan chocolate, too much of my pretzels with hummus, anything too sweet… you get the idea) I can feel the difference.  I don’t feel as energetic, but kind of heavy and sluggish.  Not extremely so, but I can definitely feel the difference so I’m learning to be careful to have such things in small amounts and not too close together.

Fifth, artificial sweeteners definitely give me more noticeable sugar cravings.  I knew they did this, but I never noticed it so much before.  I’m much more content and satisfied now by just drinking water or even iced tea without sweetener.  If I ever do use artificial sweetener it’s in very small doses, but I’m quickly reaching the point of giving up on them.  It’s not worth the “munchies” and headaches it gives me.

I know my tastes and preferences will continue to change and I love seeing my continuing progress on this journey.  I’m still a work-in-progress vegan in some ways, just because I’m so new to it and there’s still so much to learn, but every day is a little victory and I’m just so excited to share these little victories with all of you :)

3 comments: