Sunday, August 30, 2015

Reflections



Today marks exactly 2 months of being vegan! It’s hard to believe that much time has passed already, but as I reflect on the past 2 months I realize that I’ve learned so much about veganism, about how it applies to me personally and how it affects various aspects of my health and well-being.

·         I don’t miss meat.
·         I don’t miss cheese.
·         I don’t miss fast food.
·         I love tofu.
·         I like more veggies than I realized.
·         I need to continue improving my veggie intake, especially greens.
·         I love fruit, but I’m still diabetic so I have to be more careful of eating too much fruit (good sugar is still sugar).
·         I don’t miss soda; I still occasionally have some, but I no longer crave it.
·         I am no longer attached to aspartame.
·         I know to be careful with any kind of artificial sweeteners because they trigger sugar cravings.
·         I drink a lot more water.
·         I make more conscious decisions in general concerning food.
·         I don’t care for vegan cheese.
·         I really enjoy a bit of chocolate almond milk.
·         It takes a lot less now for me to feel full.
·         I still eat “junk food” sometimes but the more I avoid it, the less I crave it (and even then it’s usually just chips and salsa or hummus).
·         I am much more aware of the adverse effects of meat and dairy consumption, the benefits of a plant-based diet and some of the science behind both.
·         I am more aware of animal byproducts in various foods and even other products (hygiene type products, clothing, etc.).
·         I rarely need any painkillers; I experience less headaches and other aches and pains.
·         I have less severe/less frequent allergy issues.
·         I am more aware of the affect the modern food industry has on our environment and animals.
·         I am more aware of GMOs, what they are and that they can’t be avoided entirely but there are ways to consume less.
·         I sometimes get a little grossed out by meat.
·         I sleep better.
·         I generally have more energy.
·         I need to make better use of my energy and be more active to promote further weight loss.
·         I have lost 12 lbs. without really trying.
·         I am learning how to better recognize my cravings as my body telling me what it needs.
·         I am amused at the variety of reactions I get from people when they learn I’m vegan.
·         I do not expect others to accommodate my dietary/lifestyle choices; that’s my responsibility.
·         I do not expect everyone to agree with me concerning veganism.
·         I do appreciate when people respect my choices and/or disagree respectfully.
·         I will not try to force my opinions on others, but if you ask, I will share honestly – in this scenario, getting defensive and argumentative accomplishes nothing on either side.
·         I don’t like it when people try to pick fights with me concerning my health and veganism especially since I don’t pick fights with meat-eaters about their health.
·         I don’t like being asked frequently about where I get my protein… plants have protein, beans have protein, nuts and seeds have protein… you get the picture. Meat may have more protein than some of these things, but our bodies do not actually require those amounts of protein (believe it or not there are even vegan body-builders; I follow several on Instagram).
·         I don’t like being asked if being vegan is healthy… it’s plants… not animal carcass.
·         I am saddened every time someone says to me “I gotta have my meat.” It doesn’t mean I am upset with you or don’t love you, I’m just far too aware of the workings of the food industry as well as the effects of that meat on your health to not be saddened by it.
·         I am continuing to make cruelty-free changes in other aspects of my life as much as I am able to.
·         I have witnessed firsthand the positive emotional and psychological effects of eating a plant-based diet; I am happier than ever and more content than ever with who I am.
·         I enjoy the challenge of writing about this journey and being transparent about it; it provides a source of accountability and allows me to help inspire others.
·         I get so excited when a friend is inspired by my journey and shares this with me.
·         I greatly value the support of my brother and sister on this journey as well as the encouragement of many of my friends, vegan or not.
·         I am still excited about the changes I’ve made and am still motivated to keep going.

#nevergoingback #govegan #totallyworthit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment